Whitehorse City Council is transforming the ageing Whitehorse Centre into a highly accessible, flexible and contemporary venue that will provide an expanded array of arts and cultural opportunities for the entire Whitehorse community to enjoy for generations to come.
Council will build the facility to cater for current and future use. Key features will include:
- 600-seat auditorium with larger stage and modern back stage area
- 200-seat studio theatre enabling smaller scale productions
- multipurpose rehearsal/dance studio
- multipurpose function room
- improved soundshell capability for community festivals and other outdoor events
- improved car parking, enabling easy and convenient access to the Whitehorse Centre, library, Council offices, local parkland and the nearby Walker Park sports precinct.
Demolition will occur in September 2020 and construction works will commence in 2021 with an anticipated project completion date of late 2023.
Concept Design Consultation
Since the design competition in early 2019, project architects BKK Architects and KTA, and Council’s Project Team, have undertaken much work to advance the design competition plans. Council will now commence detailed consultation with the wider community to seek feedback on the concept design. Feedback gathered will be considered in developing the schematic design.
Click below to view the following: