This consultation is now closed. Nominations were received until Friday 20 November 2020.
The Whitehorse Local Heroes Program aims to recognise and celebrate the fabulous volunteering efforts undertaken by individuals and groups in the local community during the pandemic.
Through the Whitehorse Local Heroes Program, Council aims to:
- Recognise the achievements of volunteers and organisation providing volunteer opportunities within the City of Whitehorse
- Acknowledge and promote the invaluable contribution volunteers (individuals and groups) make to the community
- Foster a sense of community identity and improve social connections by recognising volunteers who contribute their time, energy and efforts for the benefit of others in the community.
What is considered volunteering?
Volunteering Victoria defines volunteering as ‘time willingly given for the common good without financial gain”. The Whitehorse Local Heroes Program recognises both formal and informal volunteering arrangements.
Formal Volunteering occurs where a person makes a formal commitment to an organisation or group to undertake volunteering, this may relate to the hours of service, the role or duties to be undertaken. Group in the Local Heroes Program can be an organisation.
Informal Volunteering occurs where individuals or group respond to a recognised need in the community with the intent of helping others, however these actions are not connected to an organisation or formal agreement.
All community members are welcome to nominate an individual or group of people from the City of Whitehorse for recognition of their volunteering efforts.
The following essential eligibility criteria applies:
- Be a resident of the City of Whitehorse
- Have undertaken the volunteer activity within the City of Whitehorse
- The activity must benefit others in the City of Whitehorse
Group or Organisation
- Be based in the City of Whitehorse
- Have undertaken the specified volunteer activity in the City of Whitehorse
- The volunteer activity must benefit others in the City of Whitehorse.
NOT eligible for Nomination
- Actions, programs, initiatives that isn’t carried out by volunteers
- Where the person providing the activity gains financial benefit for the action
- Where the person nominated is undertaking a paid role
- Persons nominated who are not residents of the City of Whitehorse
- Organisations or groups that are not based in the City of Whitehorse
- Volunteer actions that are undertaken outside of the City of Whitehorse
- Nominations that do not provide sufficient detail to enable verification of the nomination.
Making a Nomination
Nominations must be lodged using the nomination form on YourSay Whitehorse and include:
- The name and contact details of the person making the nomination
- Name and contact details of the person, or group being nominated
- A brief description of the volunteer activity to be recognised, and its value to the person making the nomination and or the Whitehorse Community
Click on the ‘Complete nomination form’ button on this page to be taken to the online nomination form.
Council will promote successful nominations, to do this Council will:
- Invite successful individuals or groups to be interviewed by Council regarding the nomination
- Seek consent from the successful individuals and groups to publish details of their nomination through Council’s social and other media channels.